Five Things for Tuesday, September 29th
1. I’ve been lifting weights pretty diligently for the last 4 or 5 months, trying to add bulk and strength. I’ve done it off and on for the last couple of years, but I am more dedicated to it now than before, pushing myself harder. It’s a nice break in the workday (I lift at lunch at the gym we have at work) and helps me keep my Hulk-like rages at bay while dealing with the moronic requests that frequently come up. I’ve recently changed my workout after reading a Fitness Tip from Paul Becker. Instead of lifting heavy weights for low reps with a minute to 2-minute break between sets, I’ve started with a heavy weight, low rep set, rest for only 15-30 seconds, then lift a slightly lower weight to fatigue, and repeat. The workout goes faster, giving me more time to do things like crunches or push-ups (175 yesterday – highest ever!), and I really think it’s making a big difference. Not that anyone who would ever read this gives a rat’s ass. It’s my blog! Deal with it!
2. What really inspired me to want to work out is a pretty gay story when you think about it. I was watching Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer and in one scene, Johnny Storm has no shirt on. I looked at him and thought, I really wish I was built like that. So I started working out and lifting weights diligently for the first time since I was a teenager. Wow, that’s sounds pretty Kevin Spacey.
3. My wife and I go see our therapist together tonight. We’ve been going for a while now, and it’s really made a difference in our lives. I used to be very sceptical of therapy in general, but I am absolutely of a different mindset now. I’ve never been happier in my life. This morning my wife and I were discussing the fact that, for the first time, we don’t feel like there is anything we need to talk to the therapist about. I wonder if we no longer need to go. Funny thing is, though, that I’d miss our therapist – she’s very funny, very cool, and very easy to talk to.
4. Peanuts and raisins are a deadly combo. I can’t stop eating them. At least it’s a better snack than I’m used to. I made rum raisin “ice cream” last night with frozen Cool Whip Lite. Not perfect, but really good.
5. I get a kick out of hysterical Redskins fans. For all the bashing that Dan Snyder gets in the media, no one hates the guy more than Redskins fans (myself excluded). They think he’s short-sighted, tries quick-fix measures, doesn’t allow for continuity, blah blah blah. So I was amused when reading the Redskins blogs and sites yesterday as the fans called for Jim Zorn to be fired after the loss to the Lions. If Snyder did, then in 2 years they’d be lamenting that the owner was an idiot for doing so. An impatient owner with an impatient fan base. They deserve each other.