Something Brief While I Take A Noveling Break
So far, so good. I’ve hit (or ever-so-slightly exceeded) the 1,667 word daily quota each day. I haven’t been able to build a buffer yet, which isn’t great, but I’ll still take it. The site this year adds some interesting stats, like how many days in a row you’ve made quota, how many words you need each day based on your current output, things like that. It’s funny, because if I write 5,000 words today and 500 tomorrow, that would be well above a two-day quota, but since the site would call that 1 Successful Day and 1 Unsuccessful Day, it makes me want to hit the minimum at least every time. Ahh, the incentives that stats bring.
A couple of things I’ve had on my mind the last few days:
1. No one seems to understand the point behind the Jon Stewart rally. Liberals seem to feel like he wasn’t liberal enough, which makes me shake my head. It wasn’t about a liberal equivalent to Glenn Beck, whatever the Blues might think. It was an Independant gig, for Independants and Moderates, not a Democrat or liberal thing. I’m amazed that no national news network or even my liberal friends seem to understand that. It was about people in the middle saying they were fed up with the behavior on BOTH SIDES. Criminy. It’s like my Deadhead brother says, “If I have to explain, you wouldn’t understand.”
2. When I become a rich and famous author (heh), I want to do two things: go to culinary school, and pursue an anthropology degree. I think anthropology would be helpful for writing realistically about ancient made-up cultures. And I love to cook.
3. The cogs in the Machinery of Death, like funeral homes, are some of the most depressing things in the world to contemplate.
4. The Walking Dead was absolutely awesome. I highly recommend it, even if you aren’t a zombie fan. It does an excellent job of portraying the horror of seeing a loved one shuffling around wanting to eat you. Watch it.
5. The McNabb benching was one of the most pointlessly chemistry-destroying moves I’ve ever seen. I thought Andy Reid was a dumbass last year for benching McNabb in the Ravens game, when the Eagles were barely down at halftime. Benching him for the Sex Cannon with under 2 minutes in a one-score ballgame? Stupid. Utterly fucking stupid. Cue up two weeks of Haynesworth-level scrutiny as the Skins go through their bye and give tryouts to JaMarcus “Purple Drank” Russell and J.P. Losman. Incidentally, I think nothing comes of it – no signings and Donovan remains the starter. Maybe it was Shanahan’s insane ploy to motivate him for the rest of the year. Who knows.